I don’t know where to begin, but I promised Zainab Bawa I would write-up about my experience in speaking at tech conferences and into the open source world. Sorry for the late post. Here is the speaking journey!
The ‘first’ proposal
The ‘first’ talk
I worked on the feedback and I submitted my second talk proposal which was accepted and I gave my first tech talk at JSConfAsia Singapore in 2015.
The ‘first’ international conference
Prior to me submitting my first-ever talk proposal (for JSFoo), one fine morning I woke up to this fantastic email.
This email was the biggest game changer in my tech life. I had stumbled upon the diversity scholarship from JSConfEU and decided to take a bold step and apply. When I was applying, little did I know that I would bag the scholarship. My joy knew no bounds when I read this email. I can still recall that morning when I had the first dose of confidence++ 🙂
This was just the beginning…. Read More. Below are a couple of places where I have spoken till date:
- JSConf Asia 2015, Singapore
- Grace Hopper Conference 2015, India
- JSConfBP 2016, Hungary
- JSUnConf 2016, Germany
- CSVConf 2016, Germany
- Frontend Union Conf 2016, Lithuania
- Web Summer Camp 2017, Croatia
- MozFest 2017, London (Upcoming this year in October)
- Women Who Code Bangalore
- Women Who Code Berlin
- Zalando Tech Meetups
PS: I have a long awaiting to-do to add all of the above links in one place in my website princiya.com (I hope to do it soon ^_^)
In short, this has been my wonderful journey (and counting) into the speaker’s world.
Success is when, preparation meets opportunity
Words of wisdom
I didn’t achieve all of this over-night. I have constantly persevered and toiled in lot of blood and sweat. The best thing is, I never gave up! And the most important thing – ‘One doesn’t need to be an expert to speak.’
Why should you consider speaking at conferences?
Speak – we need diversity!
- Speak – you will definitely learn a lot
- Speak – you will teach others what you have learned
- Speak – to get a confidence boost
- Speak – you know you are awesome
- Speak – the community needs new people and new ideas
- Speak – you have nothing to lose!